German POW’s in Templemore, Co. Tipperary during World War 1. Nearly 2,000 German prisoners of war were based in Templemore in what is now the Garda College. Few records remain, but they were allowed to march from the barracks to the church on a Sunday for mass, singing and apparently very happy. They were well treated and got on very well with the locals. It was good for the local economy as well as supplies were needed and the prisoners could even buy cigarettes on the way to church.
Image of POW Camp at Templemore Barracks in Co Tipperary, 1914/15
Photograph courtesy of John Reynolds / An Garda Síochána